Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Baxter and Me


Tonight a friend and I watched "Marley and Me", a recently released movie about a dog named Marley. The movie follows the escapades of Marley and his family. The movie, especially the ending made me think of my dog Baxter.


This past week Baxter has been, as a friend put it, "a bad monkey'. While I was away for the weekend he decided to get his revenge by destroying the garbage, crapping in my office, and trying to destroy my house. When I returned home he appeared to be remorseful thus I forgave him. Boy did he fool me!


Before I headed to class Monday to learn (ha ha ha) I gave Baxter a dog treat, filled his water and food dish, played with him and let him outside to do his duty thinking that this would appease him while I was gone. When I returned home the trash can had been tipped over- spilling its grimy garbage contents, food particles littered the living room carpet, and Baxter was looking at me innocently.


I was pissed.


Baxter got the boot outside in the 10 degree weather while I cleaned up his mess and pondered what to do with him. I decided that he was no longer allowed in the house, or at least the kitchen and living room. I cleared a spot for him in the laundry room and set up his new home with his food, water, and bed. I barricaded the door with a couple of chairs until I could find a more permanent solution. Today I installed a child gate, the kind that prevents kids from falling down the stairs, in order to contain Jaws.


Which brings me back to the original inspiration for this post, Marley. The movie follows a newly wed couple who purchase Marley as a pup. Marley is a lot like Baxter with his puppy dog eyes, happy spirit, and knack for causing general chaos. Baxter isn't as bad as Marley- at least he hasn't eaten the couch, the toaster, the carpet, or anything else "edible".


(Spoiler Alert!)


The show ends with Marleys death and the family mourning for him. The family reminisces about Marley and shed a few tears which had most of the audience crying along with. The family reflects back on all the joy and happiness that Marley brought to their family. The show made me realize that while Baxter is at times trying, he is still my friend and loves me no matter what.

Well most of the time!

3 comments:

  1. I listened to the audio book, "Marley and Me," a couple months ago. It was pretty good. In many ways pets are like children. I remember something a friend told me right after I shared the news we were expecting our first child. I'm sure you could insert pets instead of kids and it would still be true. "Kids can be the biggest pain, and cause more trouble than you can imagine. But they are the only things in life that are truly worth it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't what to say about the naughty doggie in the picture. That's why I haven't commented. I've always been a cat person, which clearly differentiates me from my friend Randy Meissner. I had a wonderful dog when I was growing up but I don't like to see dogs locked up in the house. Lady Bird stayed outside and roamed the hills looking for rabbits to kill. But a cat seems to be more at home in a house. Dad's is especially nice. Nibby has never spit up or missed the catbox once since he's lived with us. We had a cat when the boys were little that tinkled in their bean bag chairs. The cat was gone and the bean bag chairs were gone also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my Bax?He will be here,in Manhattan,Mt. for the weekend.Pampered as always,running around the table in excitement to see us.Asking for Cheese or dog snacks at will,and freely handing out wet kisses for those interested.The best stress relief in the world is a dog.They like us for who we are and never get disrespectful.I've seen all of Baxters short-comings and his love for people far out weighs his "Dennis the Menace"character.Just Look At Him.Mention "Wound-up" and he gets so excited.He associates that with travel and his trips to Roundup in his youth.The sad thing is they don't last long compared to our attachment to them and it's said there is only one who loves us more and He turned his name around to compare this unconditional love and gave us DOG.

    ReplyDelete